Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Series I won't finish

That great series that EVERYBODY reads, a new series by your favorite author, a series you just want to try out; you tried. And you failed. You just didn't like it.
In fact, you may have HATED it or no, was DISGUSTED by it. Or you found it too cliché or it just didn't fit in your alley. 
Or you read a spoiler of the series and it made you so angry, because the chick already broke up with a prince and was going to break up with the prince's BFF too now and you just couldn't handle the fact that she was going to have more boyfriends in the future and you just quit. (I'm probably, kind of, not at all, but totally, innocently talking about Throne of Glass...)
ANYWAY - here are the book series I probably won't finish:


1. Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

I'll start right off the bat with this extremely hyped series, just to get it over with: Throne of Glass. 
If you follow me for a while, you know that I adored the first book. I thought Celaena was bae and so super badass and I loved her, till I read the second book. And I looked up Throne of Glass on Instagram. 
So I found this spoiler, which I'm obviously not going to share because I don't want to ruin it for the rest of you all, while I was reading the second book and it just pissed me off. It had to do with her current relationship and I wasn't really over how she just broke up with Dorian and I just couldn't do it anymore. Nope, just couldn't. NOPEEEEEE.
In the second book I also could see Dorian struggling with the break-up AND I FELT SO SAD FOR HIM! LIKE, WHY? WHY, CELAENA? WHY DID YOU BREAK UP WITH HIM? WHYYYY?
DO YOU SEE WHAT YOU'VE DONE TO HIM? DO YOU SEE????
(...) 
I also found out that she was going to have a few more lovers (whoops, still gave you a spoiler, hehe. SORRY) and I was like: NOPE - THAT'S IT. GOODBYE, CELAENA.
So I won't finish these series. :$


2. Legend by Marie Lu
Well, Legend is - luckily for me - a less dramatic story: I just find it a bit too cliché.
I mean, I do enjoy reading dystopian themed novels, but the way the story progressed, the type of characters, the way the world was ruled - too much of the same old, same old. But I do think that I don't want to finish it mainly because I've been reading YA, sci-fi and fantasy for a while now, so a book like this one just won't give me the same feelings as the others. It doesn't out in the crowd.
So I think that when you're new to sci-fi or YA, it would be way more fun to read than when you're already into it for a few years.



3. The Blood of Eden series by Julie Kagawa
Ahh - the one and only Julie Kagawa! The author that made me love fantasy and YA - I love you!(...)
But not this series...
Now, I haven't read many vampire-books, but I've watched a lot of movies about them, like Twilight. And this one was just kind of, sort of, totally like them.
But then, again, it would've been fun to read if I hadn't read or seen much of vampire themed books or movies.
It just has the same vampire-clichés in it that every vampire-movie/-book has and well, it just doesn't turn me on - it doesn't give me the I-NEED-TO-READ-MORE-feels anymore.
The Blood of Eden series are like an introduction to vampires, for me. The same for the Iron Fey series - an introduction to fantasy. But once you've been introduced to them, reading series like these won't turn you on anymore.


4. The Eagle of the Ninth series by Rosemary Sutcliff
I just wanted to try something new, so I thought why not read a book based on Ancient Rome. Well, I shouldn't have thought that.
It just utterly booorrrreeddddd me. I read the first two installments and I had to force myself to finish them. What I can remember of my time reading them, because it's been a looooonnnggg while since, was that I couldn't get the story really or the connection between the first and the second book and it was incredibly boring and intimidating to read. Now these books aren't that thick, but around that time I wasn't really into English reading and well, the English in this book was Oxford English, so it was quite the opposite of fun for me.
And I just don't feel like trying again right now, even though they don't seem as intimidating as then anymore.


5. Tunnels by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams
ONE. BIG. NO.
Another book from which it has been a while since I read it, but it was SOOOO BOORRIINNNGG. It was about a guy whose father went missing and he went after him, because apparantly he disapeared into some tunnels and blablabla (I'm not childish, whaaattt). I had to force myself to finish this book, because it dragged on sooo much and I will never try reading it again. NEVER. AGAIN.


Dramaaaaa! Haha, how a booknerd can dislike - to put it softly - sometimes. And how dramatic they can be about it - jeez.
Anyway - that's it for this blog post!

Until the next one, then! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment