Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Review Siddhartha by Herman Hesse

Not long after reading The Complete Short Fiction by Oscar Wilde (click here to read the review on that book), she scurried through the house looking for the few bookcases her parents owned and searched for a few more classics to read. Instead of starting reading these beautiful copies of many great authors, whose existence had been hidden from her for most of her life, she got another book from her father, an ebook which did something to her she can't explain. 
Her heart opened up again and she's ready take more classics in.

Summary

A young man, who goes by the name of Siddhartha, desires to find perfect knowledge of himself and the world. He's a fast learner and so soon tired of the teachings in his village.
He desires to leave and to complete his knowledge elsewhere. For this he wants to join the Samana's who have just visited his village. After a long night of persistently standing in the middle of the room, until his father gave his permission to leave, he sets out with his friend Govinda to find this perfect knowledge.
But soon he realizes that even here, with the Samana's, he didn't learn what he couldn't master after a few times trying or which he didn't already know. 
So will he ever find this knowledge? Or is he reaching for the impossible?

My opinion

Rate: 9.5/10

WOW. WOW. WOW.
This book was amazing! I've never enjoyed reading as much as I enjoyed reading this book.
It just really made me look at life differently and just did something to me I can't really explain.
Something like cutting my heart open and filling it with white clarity and joy!

The story itself was one that you don't see very often anymore and if you would it probably won't be as good. We basically follow the life of a very critical young man who goes through a few phases in which he learns a lot. And I, as a reader, felt like I was learning too. And I really loved that feeling. I think that's what made me feel even more connected to the book and the main character, Siddhartha.

And the writing style really helps with making me enjoy this book and the storyline. It is a translation of a German book, but it doesn't feel off. Like it is translated sooo literally that it doesn't make any sense at all or that it takes away the joy of reading it.
The sentences are quite long, which makes you want to read them a few times so that you can fully understand its meaning, but it just has something, SOMETHING, that gives the story a certain feeling. A certain clarity.
Because these sentences, the way everything is described, has something poetic, but something so direct, so to the point, that even a fool can understand it. 
I love it.

To get back to the story itself; Siddhartha's character development is ON POINT. Now this might be what the story is all about, but from all the books I read with character-development in it, it's rather the same all the time. A weak character grows stronger, a sceptical character grows softer etc. etc. etc. And I love these developments too, but something different can really open you up and "wow" you.
Now here you can also see a sceptical character turn into a softer one, but in a way in which you can feel the peace and clarity and understanding radiate of the pages.
I LOVEEEEE THAT!!!

And another thing that really got me, touched me, opened my eyes, opened my heart, were the messages int his story. Hesse told me something that I will forever keep in my heart and carry with me through life, and use to be the best version of myself.
He has put to words, something I needed to know to live my life better. He showed me an example which showed me how simple and lovely life can be if you just want it, just believe it.
Maybe I'm a bit vague about these messages, but I think you should read this book yourself to know what I'm talking about. Or what it'll do to you when you read it.

I've used a lot of "love" in this blog post, haven't I?
Ah, well, this book just brings me so much joy and love that I have no other to describe it with, other than joy and love.
*sighs peacefully*
*thinks about becoming a buddhist ('cause that's what the book kind of sort of totally is about, buddhism)*
*then realizes she doesn't need to become a buddhist*
*insert spiritual and wise thoughts in here*
*sighs peacefully again*

That's it for this blog post, guys!'
Until the next blog post, then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment