Wednesday, July 6, 2016

She Is Not Invisible by Marcus Sedgwick

WOOHOO - I've read another novel by Marcus Sedgwick!
Thanks to my lovely friend, who got me this book for my birthday, I FINALLY got to read another book by my favorite author. Perhaps it's too soon to call an author your favorite after reading just one - now two - of his books, but well, Sedgwick is an exception to that rule!


Summary

Laureth Peak has a father who's a very good writer. For his job he tends to travel a lot to find inspiration, but this time he seems to have been away for quite a long time. Laureth grows worried and so sets out to find him, taking her little brother with her. They fly from London to New York, where he's supposed to be, and have to try to find him through little, cryptic hints and clues. Laureth has the use all her skills and courage to rescue her father, because there's one problem - Laureth is blind.

My Opinion

Rating: 8.5/10

Ahh - I'm so glad I got to read another one of his books!
Just like the first one I read, this book had something puzzling, something that forced you think more about the things that were said and done by the characters. A really fun element was that it wasn't only me, the reader, who needed to think harder and deeper, but Laureth, our protagonist, too. That made it so that I felt like I was one with the character - talking about spiritual stuff, huh, haha.
In The Ghosts Of Heaven, it was really me trying to figure out what the events in the book, the stories of these diverse characters meant: what did Sedgwick wanted to tell me? It made it really philosophical and deep, while in She Is Not Invisible it was more about cracking puzzles and solving the big mystery: where is Laureth's father?
I liked how similar these two books were - Sedgwick putting in some scientific matter to discuss - but at the same time so different - the one is more like a common, young adult story, while the other is a collection of stories that only have one thing in common and a philosophical message to tell.

I do have to say, though, that the story itself wasn't that mindblowing. The storyline was rather predictable, the characters plain and flat - there wasn't much more to it than what you got to read. 
But it wasn't a thing that turned me off, strangely. 
Maybe it's because it's Sedgwick, and I loved The Ghosts Of Heaven veeeerrryyyyy muuuccchhhh, but I think it was also because of the fact he discussed coincidences so thoroughly and well, scientifically :$. 
He literally put it there in the diary of Laureth's father, who happened to think the same things about coincidences as Sedgwick (this was shown in the Q&A that was added to my copy), and made it so that it also came back in the story. As in that Laureth gets to assumptions of him planning to commit suicide, or for her to try to find a place that's related to the number 354 - which I'm not going to explain any further; it's actually way more fun if you dive into the book without knowing too much about it.

The point is, that I just loved how he put his research on coincidences and the number 354 in his book and how he made a story around it. I also like him as a writer, since he combines science and writing - my two favorite things, next to food, books, of course, and sleeping and watching anime and... Yeah, I'll just stop there.

And that's actually all I've got to say about this book; it's simple, but fun to read since it's so scientific and mysterious. The storyline itself isn't that mindblowing, but his research on coincidences and the number 354 have really done it for me.
GO READ BOOKS BY MARCUS SEDGWICK - THEY'RE REALLY FUN TO READ!

Well, that's it for this blog post!
Until the next one, then! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment